[FOM] Mathematics *Is*, According To Peirce

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Mon May 31 10:17:02 EDT 2010

In one of his essay on the Classification of the Sciences --

http://www.princeton.edu/~batke/peirce/cl_o_sci_03.htm --

Peirce says this:

| Normative science rests largely on phenomenology and on mathematics;
| Metaphysics on phenomenology and on normative science.
| C.S. Peirce, ''Collected Papers'' 1.186 (1903)

Drawing the suggested hierarchy we have the following:

|                          o Metaphysics
|                         /|
|                        / |
|                       /  |
|    Normative Science o   |
|                     / \  |
|      Mathematics o       o Phenomenology

Recalling that Logic is a normative science, I think that this is one
of the most remarkable analyses in all of Peirce's reflections on the
genealogy of the sciences.

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/