[FOM] Falsify Platonism?

Director CPFS director at cpfs.res.in
Sat May 1 08:50:11 EDT 2010

Oran Magal's exposition of Popper's philosophy, makes clear the
'demarcation' problem addressed by Popper. The examples given by Magal
concern the science/pseudoscience distinction. However, the separation
between science and pseudoscience is overshadowed by the distinction between
science and metaphysics. Darwinian evolutionary theory was considered by
Popper as a 'metaphysical research programme' rather than as a scientific
theory (or pseudoscience for that matter). Philosophy or metaphysics were
not proscribed terms for Popper. They were in some sense higher-level
languages or metalanguages which involved comparative analyses of scientific
theories and were not in themselves science. The laws of nature are not
nature, but a description of nature at what may be called a 'higher' level.
That 'higher' level is akin to the Platonic world, which Popper himself
chose to call World III, on par with the World I of matter and II of mental
states. Hence it is decidedly odd to use Popper as an authority to brand
Platonism as non-falsiable and hence a 'pseudoscience'.

Ranjit Nair
director at cpfs.res.in