[FOM] Mathematics ***is*** formalising of our thought and intuition

Keith Brian Johnson joyfuloctopus at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 02:14:44 EDT 2010

I entirely agree with Paddy Hackett:  It is by observation, including experimentation, that the scientist determines which patterns are concretely instantiated.  He then applies mathematics to those concretely instantiated patterns, using logic to reason validly (and, if his descriptions of his observations are correct, soundly) from premisses at least some of which are about those observations to conclusions.  He trusts those conclusions to the extent that he trusts his descriptions of his observations to be correct and to the extent that he trusts mathematics' analyses of patterns in the abstract to be correct and to the extent that he trusts logic's formalization of legitimate thought processes to be correct.

Keith Brian Johnson

> Perhaps i misunderstand you. The scientist also draws from experience -

experimention. It is this that distinguishes him from the

mathematician and logician

Paddy

Kind regards
Paddy