[FOM] Mathematics ***is*** formalising of our thought and intuition

Robert Lindauer rlindauer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:34:53 EDT 2010

a) I thought you were claiming mathematics was -the only science-
creating formal tools for making our thought and intuition powerful.
  As I said, many other kinds of scientists contribute to the effort
in different ways, your definition turns their work into mathematics,
which is simply not true.    Political theory also creates formal
models for political situations and is not -ipso facto- mathematics.
Political, Physical and other scientists use mathematics where
appropriate and use other formalizations where mathematics is less
appropriate (e.g. Linguistics has formal models of phonetical systems,
calling them "mathematics" because available for formal modeling is at
best a stretch - like saying that game programming -is mathematics-).
Meta-mathematics (both formal and informal) is not necessarily
mathematics and yet does definitely create and use formal methods of
consideration (e.g. Principia Mathematica).

b) My claim was that mathematics was not -necessarily- formal and I
think that's borne out by the history of mathematics and even the
dominant practice of mathematics in this century (e.g. by
non-university mathematicians like my 10-year-old-son) - that there is
a localization of formalization in Western Civilization's university
system since the turn of the previous century does not overturn
thousands of years of informal or quasi-formal mathematics!  What is
necessary is the method of abstraction by which we consider things
without regard to their particular character  - that is, without
regard to -what it is we're talking about at all- - this is 'almost
formalization' in that we are considering things "formally" in the
sense of not considering them concretely but not "formally" in the
sense of defining method for consideration.  Other sciences do not
completely abstract the subject-matter (neither does mathematics
'always'...).

d) regarding the "guarantee" - even finite and feasible-sized proofs
are subject to the size problem.  "The largest compact feasible proof
is not verifiable" where compact means that any -other proof- must be
larger than the original proof.  But this misses the point which you
effectively make for me, much of mathematics is not feasible, making
it unreliable, you are in the minority, as I understand it, about your
wanting only feasible proofs about feasible mathematical objects.
(However much I may agree with you.)  In any case, those people who
disagree with you are -also mathematicians doing mathematics-.

e) the need for formal presentation in other sciences is clear -
without formalization, a presentation is incomplete, unconvincing and
unclear and simply stands in need of a formal presentation.  This
bears on the formal character of mathematics too - Cantor's system's
formalization (zfc-ish) is not much different from the formalization
of phonetics in that the original theories were formalizable but not
formalized and progress in the sciences leads to this kind of
clarification after the initial work is done.  In mathematics this
doesn't mean that the initial work isn't mathematics (it is!), and in
other sciences that doesn't mean that the formalizing work is
mathematics (it isn't -always-!)

f) the formal aspects of rhetoric are as interesting as the formal
aspects of logic, e.g. "Uses of Argument" by Toulmin.

Best,

Robbie Lindauer

--
It gives.