[FOM] A Formal System for Euclid

Arnon Avron aa at tau.ac.il
Wed Jul 21 12:44:48 EDT 2010

In connection with the discussion concerning the status of
arguments in Euclid's elements, I would like to recommend
a recent paper which describes a very serious and extensive
logical investigation into this matter:

J. Avigad, E. Dean, and J. Mumma
"A Formal System for Euclid's Elements",
The Review of Symbolic Logic, Vol. 2, December 2009,
 pp. 700-768.

It presents a *formal* system which is faithful to Euclid's
reasoning, including its diagrammatic part.

Arnon