[FOM] Are proofs in mathematics based on sufficient evidence?

Michael Barany michael.barany at tellurideassociation.org
Fri Jul 9 02:43:43 EDT 2010

Fascinating.

As a practical matter, wikipedia's editorial policy is that every
statement should be a firmly established fact, and it is quite the
norm to expect some form of citation for every sentence.  Particularly
in high profile articles this can be heavily enforced.

If one goes back 300 years (or even fewer) one finds the very active
conflation of proofs of different sorts, with juridical proof usually
taken to be the standard against which others are compared.  The idea
of scientific proof had significant origins in debates about law and
rhetoric (see Shapiro, 1986, `To a Moral Certainty': Theories of
Knowledge and Anglo-American Juries 1600--1850, Hastings Law Journal
38:153--193), and the mathematical notion of proof we have today
certainly has a lot to do with eighteenth and nineteenth century
adaptations of these ideas.

You might point Gandalf61 to the classic article by Demillo, Lipton,
and Perlis (exact citation escapes me at the moment) as well as
Thurston's widely circulated "On proof and progress in mathematics"
(available on the ArXiv).  There should be no shortage of canonical
philosophers giving your definition of proof,... the trick is linking
them up in the page.

-Michael