[FOM] A minor issue in modal logic

Michael Lee Finney michael.finney at metachaos.net
Mon Jul 5 14:36:22 EDT 2010

 I would agree that Np => p does not hold in all modal logics, such as
 denotic or provability logics. However, it does appears to be the
 defining minimal characteristic for logics of necessity. It is the
 basis of the classical system T. There are many other modal logics in
 which this doesn't hold, but they aren't generally regarded as logics
 of necessity.

 It appears to me that you confuse the general idea of modal logics
 with the more specific idea of necessity logics. So if Np => p is not
 validated in all necessity logics, what properties do you see as
 defining the minimal properties of necessity -- as opposed to the
 many other modal logics? You could have Np => Pp as a weaker
 condition (the basis of the classical system D), but that is usually
 considered to be basis of denotic logic (at least when Np => p is not
 also present).

Michael Lee Finney