[FOM] ZC vs. ZFC: a pedagogical perspective

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Jan 30 14:23:15 EST 2010

      :
> (I studied logic at Berkeley, where I was required to pass exams on
> analysis and algebra -- but I don't believe that any of that material
> required replacement.)

But this does not mark a difference between ZFC and ZC ! Much less
than the latter is needed for developing the ordinary analysis and
algebra. Even the axiom of infinity can be dropped. Recall that it all
can be done in ACA_0, which is a conservative extension of PA. There
is a similar conservative extension of finitary set theory (add
predicative comprehension) that will also do.

Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen

Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,
Docent in Theoretical Philosophy