[FOM] Cardinals and Choice

Robert Solovay solovay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 05:37:06 EST 2010

The proposition that cardinals are comparable implies the axiom of
choice. Surely this must be in the treatise of Rubin and Rubin on the
axiom of choice.

Here is a sketch of the proof. Let X be a set.  Consider the
collection of all well-orderings of a subset of X, By comparability of
well-orderings they can be pieced together to get a longest
well-ordering such that every initial segment of it maps into X, but
it does not. (If need be, add a point on the end to achieve this.) So
we have a well-ordering that does not map injectively into X. By
comparability, X maps 1-1 into this well-ordering. Hence X can be
well-ordered.

--Bob Solovay