[FOM] Origin of the Buzz

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Sun Aug 15 13:36:05 EDT 2010

> And, unless I am mistaken, Deolalikar is not the one who released the
> purported proof into the wild. That seems worth remembering.
>
> Richard Heck

This is not the case. Here is the email that Deolalikar sent around on
August 6 that started everything, without the attachments. It is
followed below by an email from Steve Cook, one of the receipients,
and the originator of the problem, not Galois as Martin Davis implies,
which apparently was sent rather widely. I received it a bit down the
food chain - not directly from Steve.