[FOM] The deductive paradigm for mathematics

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Fri Aug 6 23:28:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Kreinovich, Vladik <vladik at utep.edu> wrote:
> I think the point that Foreman and Kunen make is that, according to the viewpoint of mathematicians, these highly interesting and >important activities are NOT called mathematics, they are classified as philosophy whatever.

I want to point out that Foreman does not share Kunen's view on this.
In fact, his forward to the Handbook argues that exploring good ways
to settle questions that are independent of ZFC is a legitimate
mathematical activity, and that it is motivated primarily by "internal
mathematical motivations" rather than philosophy.  In fact his
discussion of the "deductive paradigm" comes near the end as a
position which contrasts to the picture of set theory he had just put
forward.

Best,
Monroe