[FOM] Concerning proof, truth, and certainty in mathematics

Robert Lindauer rlindauer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:20:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Monroe Eskew <meskew at math.uci.edu> wrote:
> Aquinas and Spinoza may be examples of philosophically careful
> theology, but they do not match up to mathematics.  There work is not
> deductive.

Spinoza's work is certainly deductive as is Aquinas, they carefully
explain their definitions and rules of inference, axioms and theorems
and show why their theorems follow from their

 There are too many undefined terms, loose inferences,
> extraneous hypotheses.

Compare euclid's definition "A point is that which has no parts" and
spinoza's definitional system and you'll see that both have the same
problem.  It's truth that much mathematics is carried out purely
formally but nevertheless when you attach that formalism to "ordinary
language" in any way you end up with the same kind of issues you
describe.  This shouldn't be surprising since theology is clearly not
mathematics and has a subject matter beyond the pure formalism and so
is required to attach its definitions to something real.

Like in philosophy generally, the path from
> premise to conclusion is not deductive but goes through a number
> inferences that are not justified by soundness but by seeming
> plausible.

Again, compare Euclid's elements or Cantor's Contributions or
Dedekind's "essays on the theory of numbers" ...

I think what you should be saying here is -some mathematics- is
rigorous and formal but in the end is based in the same kind of loose
talk that you find in philosophy or theology.

A rigorous definition of "empty" or "set" is currently unavailable,
there is no proof of any of the axioms of ZFC, nor is there a
demonstration of the soundness of modus ponens or LEM.

On these mathematical topics, there's lots of "seemingly plausible
talk", unless you're aware of someplace I might find a rigorous
demonstration of the ZF(C) axioms (hopefully without itself being an
axiomatic system in need of rigorous defense).

Many times I've heard the term "self evident" used with regard to the
axioms, in much the same way I've heard it used in other practices,
generally not Theology any more though, since Theology's practice is
more mature, and having tried several systems of formal theology I
think theologists generally have come to the conclusion that the
axiomatization of a system of thinking doesn't provide any support for
it.

Robbie

--
It gives.