[FOM] Concerning proof, truth, and certainty in mathematics

Bill Taylor W.Taylor at math.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Aug 3 01:16:33 EDT 2010

Monroe Eskew <meskew at math.uci.edu>

-> Are there writings that one might call "formal theology"?  Are there
-> theological theorems and open problems?  I once read an essay by a
-> Catholic Cardinal that was much more philosophically careful and
-> sophisticated than typical religious talk, but I have never seen
-> something like you describe--theology which differs from mathematics
-> only in subject matter.

And even more to the point - it is never possible to prove a conjecture
or theory FALSE, in theology.

Not even if an inconsistency is produced!  (As is often the case.)  Q.E.D.

-- wfct