[FOM] Falsify Platonism?

Andrej Bauer andrej.bauer at andrej.com
Thu Apr 29 15:27:03 EDT 2010

I colleague of mine whose area of expertise is discrete mathematics
and algorithms for symbolic computation once told me he was a
Platonist. He gave a very good response to my asking him how he dealt
with incompleteness phenomena: "My wife is real and I know her but I
do not know everything about her, nor do I presume that everything
about her is knowable. The situation with the natural numbers is much
the same." Naturally, my follow-up question was about the ideal status
of natural numbers, but I could not induce him to state that his wife
was ideal.

Anyhow, I thought his was a very reasonable and defensible position.

With kind regards,

Andrej