[FOM] Foreman's preface to HST

Marc Alcobé malcobe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 03:16:21 EDT 2010

Ok. So we could find a distinction between "mathematical problems
normally considered important" and "maybe not so important, but still
foundational problems". I do not exclude that the investigation of the
latter could be developed within ZFC (or whatever fragment or
extension of it).

Naturally, mathematically motivated foundational problems (in the
sense of being necessary for the solution of those "mathematical
problems normally considered important") are more appealing for
mathematicians, specially for the ones who are working on areas
particularly near to those mathematical problems, than those
foundational problems that smell like being "only" (or simply "too
much") philosophically motivated.

However, no matter where the motivation comes from, when a certain
level of abstraction over a given problem is attained, the problem
becomes a genuinely mathematical one, and it might pose questions
that, I believe, are of genuine mathematical importance.