[FOM] Logicomix

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 17 13:25:11 EDT 2010

For FOMers who are not already aware of it, Doxiadis and Papadimitriou
came out with a book called "Logicomix" last year.  It is a slightly
fictionalized story of the development of the foundations of mathematics
from Frege through Turing, written in the form of a comic book (or a
graphic novel, as some call it).  A search of the FOM archives turned up
only a passing reference to the book by Vaughan Pratt, so I figure that
not everyone has heard of it.

I enjoyed the book although it left me wondering who the intended audience
is.  It does not, I think, give the reader much sense of what the "giants"
of f.o.m. achieved, other than pave the way for the invention of the
computer.  But it's also clearly not pitched at experts.  Still, I think
it's well worth the couple of hours it takes to breeze through the book.

Tim