[FOM] Global Choice

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 7 04:53:07 EDT 2010

Is this an example of a general phenomenon, in ZF (possibly even without
choice or foundation)?  Consider a definable equivalence relation (as it
might be: equipollence).  Suppose we make the assumption that for any
subset $x$ of $V$ there is $f:x \to V$ such that $(\forall u,v \in x)(f(u)
= f(v)$ iff $u$ and $v$ are equivalent$)$.  (This is a *set* theory).
Now consider the *class* theory that is GB (again, possibly without choice
or foundation) plus an axiom that says there is a global class function
$f$ such that $(\forall u,v)(f(u) = f(v)$ iff $u$ and $v$ are
equivalent$)$.  Is this class theory a conservative extension of the
coresponding set theory? Or do we need choice & foundation for the forcing
argument to work?