[FOM] Fwd: Did Goedel's result come as a surprise to Bertrand?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 19:41:21 EDT 2010

There is a sense in which higher-order languages make Godel's
Incompleteness Theorem less philosophically troubling -- since pretty
much all mathematics  can be interpreted in higher-order logic, the
import of the theorem becomes merely epistemological, that we can't
know all true mathematical facts, rather than ontological, that there
might exist sentences without a truth value.

-JS