[FOM] An ordinal calculator is available

Paul Budnik paul at mtnmath.com
Wed Sep 16 14:50:09 EDT 2009

I have long suspected that we will eventually be able to expand the
foundations of mathematics by using computer technology to define larger
recursive ordinals than is possible with out such an aid. To that end I
have developed and just released an interactive command line ordinal
calculator that supports ordinal notations through and bit beyond those
definable by the Veblen function.

The program can be an aid to understanding the recursive ordinals. It
supports ordinal arithmetic: (addition, multiplication and
exponentiation) displaying the normal form output in plain text and/or
LaTeX format. For any ordinal notation in the system, it can list a
sequence of smaller ordinals whose union is the original ordinal. Of
course, for limit ordinals, it can only list a finite subset of the
complete sequence.

This program is licensed for free use and distribution under the GPL
version 2 and can be downloaded from http://www.mtnmath.com/ord or
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ord/ This is a beta (first public)
release. Any and all feedback including suggested improvements and
problem reports will be appreciated.

The program is designed to be expandable and others are encouraged to
expand it. In addition to a 6 page user's manual there is a second
manual that describes the program structure and gives an overview of and
references for the mathematics on which the program is based.

Paul Budnik
www.mtnmath.com