[FOM] Only one proof

Henry Cohn Henry.Cohn at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 7 12:27:31 EDT 2009

>But what about the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?  All proofs I'm
>aware of seem to boil down to one version or another of Euclid's GCD
>algorithm.  Is there a different proof?

Here are a couple of different proofs.  The first is folklore, while the
second I learned from Shafarevich's book Discourses on Algebra.

Suppose there were positive integers with two different prime factorizations,
and let N be the smallest such integer.  Write N as a product of primes
in two ways as N = p_1 ... p_r = q_1 ... q_s.  No p_i can equal any q_j,
since otherwise they could be cancelled to lower N.  Without loss of
generality suppose p_1>q_1, and let M = (p_1-q_1) p_2 ... p_r.  This
number is less than N, so it has a unique prime factorization.  To obtain
one, we can replace p_1-q_1 with its factorization.  Because p_1-q_1 is
not divisible by q_1, this means M has a prime factorization that does
not include q_1.  However,
M = N - q_1 p_2 ... p_r = q_1 (q_2 ... q_s - p_2 ... p_r),
so M also has a prime factorization that does include q_1.  This
contradicts the minimality of N.

The second proof uses the more common route of proving that if a prime
divides a product, it divides one of the factors.  Suppose p is the smallest
prime for which this fails.  Then there are integers a and b such that
p divides ab but neither a nor b.  We can reduce a and b mod p to ensure
that 0 < a,b < p.  Write ab = pc.  Then 0 < c < p thanks to the bounds on
a and b.  All prime divisors of c are less than p, so they each divide one
of a and b.  We can cancel them and thus assume without loss of generality
that c = 1.  Then ab = p with 0 < a,b < p, which contradicts the primality
of p.  Thus, every prime that divides a product must divide one of the
factors, from which it's easy to prove the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

Henry Cohn
cohn at microsoft.com