[FOM] [NYC LOCAL] Tuesday 3 March 2009 Courant Geometry Seminar: Jay Sulzberger on the Second Half of Boole's Laws of Thought

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Mon Mar 2 12:11:19 EST 2009

I will speak, starting at 6:00 pm Tuesday 3 March 2009 in

Room 317
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
New York University
251 Mercer Street, near West 4th Street
New York, N.Y. 10012-1185

on George Boole's General Method for the Solution of Problems in
the Theory of Probabilities, which method is alluded to on page
xix (of my copy), and fully presented in Chapter XVII, of Boole's
The Laws of Thought.

Here is the official announcement:

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~raghavan/geometry/spring09/Jay.pdf

A version of The Laws of Thought is at:

http://ia331332.us.archive.org/1/items/aninvestigationo15114gut/15114-pdf.pdf

There is a link to another version at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SWgLVT0otY8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Boole%27s+Laws+of+Thought&client=iceape#PPA3,M1

Backround material:

On this page is a link to a good pdf of the original A. Einstein,
B. Podolsky and N. Rosen paper "Can Quantum-Mechanical
Description of Physical Reality Be Considered Complete?":

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v47/i10/p777_1

On this page there is a link to a pdf of J. S. Bell's paper "On
the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen-Bohm Experiment", where Bell presents
the first Bell Inequality:

http://www.drchinese.com/David/EPR_Bell_Aspect.htm

The main theorem of G. Chichilnisky's "Intersecting Families of
Sets and the Topology of Cones in Economics" defines an invariant
for Boole's Problems, which invariant is part of the Secret of
the Bell's Inequalities:

http://www.chichilnisky.com/pdfs/papers/88.pdf

Lispers!  Constrainters!  Database Schematizers!  Quantum Quandlers!

And Particularly Logicians!

Come on down!

I remain, as ever your fellow student of logic and probability,
Jay Sulzberger.

PS. Not so far away are these subway stops:

West 4th Street, A B C D E F V
Eighth Street NYU, R W, N less likely
Astor Place, 6, late night often the 4