[FOM] Definable sets of primes

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 15 19:52:25 EDT 2009

Joe Shipman wrote:
> what kind of achievement is it to detect a "regularity" concerning
> membership in a polynmial-time-computable set, if the equivalence is to
> a set that cannot be computed easily? It would make much more sense to
> me to regard the description "primes modulo which the polynomial f(x)
> has a root" as the PRIMARY definition of the set, and say that the OTHER
> set (involving representations of automorphic forms or some such) is the
> thing in which a "regularity" was discovered!

It's not that the set involving automorphic representations is hard to
compute; it's that the *verification* that the two sets are the same
involves some complicated computations that aren't guaranteed to work out.

Generally speaking, once the correspondence has been established, the
natural and interesting number-theoretic questions about the solutions to
the polynomial equation are easier to compute from the representation-
theoretic side than from the number-theoretic side.  That is why Langlands
regards the automorphic representation side of the correspondence as being
more "regular" than the number-theoretic side.

Quadratic reciprocity already gives a small hint of this; if you want to
know "how many" primes p there are for which x^2 - q has a root, it is
much easier to see the answer if you know that this set of primes has a
description in terms of congruences mod p.  Note that this is because
congruence classes have an intelligible structure; it's not just that it's
easier to compute what p is mod q than it is to factor x^2 - q mod p.

Tim