[FOM] Arithmetical soundness of ZFC (platonic)

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jun 7 15:22:32 EDT 2009

Panu Raatika wrote:
> Set theoretical arguments - not arguments in "actual mathematical
> practice". The reason I press this is that Cantorian set theory was,
> at the time, extremely controversial, and I just feel it is misleading
> to count it, at the time, as "actual mathematical practice". But this
> is probably just a verbal issue...

The distinction isn't so important in the context of my reply to Weaver.
But now you've got me curious in the historical question of how Zermelo
set theory and its variants arrived at its current status.  When and how
did it become widely accepted that all of mathematics could be based on
set theory?  Obviously Bourbaki was an important influence, but surely
there were other currents?  For example, Bourbaki didn't use ZFC in its
current form.

Tim