[FOM] On Epistemology of Mathematics

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Mon Jun 1 08:50:25 EDT 2009

Dmytro,

C.S. Peirce provided a framework for thinking about
belief and knowledge in mathematics, more generally
about the process of inquiry that "fixes belief" in
science and even in ordinary common sense reasoning.
He did this in a way that largely avoids the errors
of "psychologism" -- that Frege even more pointedly
criticized -- specifically, the tendency to confuse
a normative science like logic with a corresponding
descriptive science like psychology.

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/