[FOM] MWPMW 10

Michael Detlefsen mdetlef1 at nd.edu
Sun Jul 26 16:45:50 EDT 2009

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

This is to remind you that the tenth annual
Midwest PhilMath Workshop (MWPMW 10) will be held
at Notre Dame the weekend of Saturday, October
10th and Sunday, October 11th. As usual, the plan
is to schedule a full day of talks and
discussions for Saturday and a half day for
Sunday. Also as usual, there will be a workshop
dinner Saturday evening, with all participants
invited to attend as guests of the university.
What is different this year is that we're
planning special events to mark the tenth
anniversary of the workshop. Some of these will
occur as part of the workshop. Hugh Woodin, Tony
Martin, Nik Weaver and Benedikt Löwe will be
joining us and giving talks as part of a special
session(s) on set theory and philosophical
questions pertaining thereto. There will also be
a special meeting of our (Notre Dame's) weekly
Logic Seminar in connection with this. Details
will follow when scheduling is complete.

A website for the workshop will be up in a few
days, and you'll be able to keep up with
developments there. You can get to it by
following the obvious links on the Philosophy
Department's web page
(<http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/>http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/).
In due course, the location of the sessions, the
schedule of talks and abstracts for them will also be posted there.

If you would like to give a talk, email a pdf of
your talk or substantial summary to Paddy
(<mailto:blanchette.1 at nd.edu>blanchette.1 at nd.edu),
Tim (<mailto:bays.5 at nd.edu>bays.5 at nd.edu), Curtis
(<mailto:cfranks at nd.edu>cfranks at nd.edu) and me
(<mailto:mdetlef1 at nd.edu>mdetlef1 at nd.edu). We
would like to have all proposals for talks by
September 1st so that we can set the program by
September 10th. Talks should be 35--40 minutes,
with 15--20 minutes left for discussion.

We're fortunate to have Mrs. Harriet Baldwin
(<mailto:baldwin.1 at nd.edu>baldwin.1 at nd.edu) as
the workshop manager once again this year. Please
contact her with any questions you may have
concerning rooms, meals, etc.. She has booked a
block of rooms for the workshop. Since there are
other conferences going on the same weekend,
demand for rooms may be high and it would thus be
a good idea to reserve a room with Harriet as
soon as possible. Please also indicate to her
whether you will be joining us for dinner
Saturday evening, and let her know if you have
any special dietary requirements. She can also
point you to pertinent travel information, maps, etc..

Please share this announcement with others you
know who might be interested, both students and
faculty. There are limited funds to help defray
expenses for student participants coming from out
of town whose departments do not have funds to
cover their costs. These funds will generally
take the form of subventions for lodging. If you
are interested in applying for one of these,
please notify Mrs. Baldwin as soon as possible.
Please also have an appropriate faculty member
from your department email me to confirm that
your department cannot meet your expenses.

That's it for now. I hope you're having a good
summer. We look forward to seeing you at MWPMW 10 in October.

Best regards,

Mic Detlefsen
Director, MWPMW 10