[FOM] Repairing a bridge (reply to Tim Chow)

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 22 14:40:58 EDT 2009

Tom Dunion wrote:

>On 7/17/09 Tim Chow wrote:
>>My point of view is that in the presence of AC, we can't trust our
>>probabilistic intuitions.  (Witness the Banach-Tarski paradox.)
>>Freiling's argument is just another demonstration of this fact and
>>does not really have much to do with CH per se.
>
>But Freiling's argument against the CH does seem quite plausible.

I claim that it's plausible only to those who think it's plausible to
well-order the reals.  If you can swallow a well-ordering of the reals
then you're perilously close to being an f.o.m.-sympathizer already.

To put it another way, if I switch my brain into mainstream-simulator
mode, then my "weird but irrelevant" flag pops up the moment you mention
a well-ordering of the reals.  By the time you get to the heart of
Freiling's argument, you've long since lost my attention.

Tim