[FOM] The Strong Free Will Theorem

Paul Budnik paul at mtnmath.com
Mon Jan 26 02:23:42 EST 2009

Timothy Y. Chow wrote:

> One specific assertion they make which interests me is that "no
> relativistic version of a hidden variable theory such as Bohm's well-known
> theory can exist."  But I can't tell whether they're saying anything new
> here.  Is "relativistic" different from "local"?

EPR experiments in quantum mechanics involve two distant detectors next to two identical experimental apparatus (like a polarizing filter) that can be manipulated. A sequence of pairs of particles in a singlet state generate a sequence of detection statistics correlated with both experimental settings in such a way that information about one of the two settings must have been superluminally transmitted from one experimental apparatus to the distant detector. This does not violate special relativity because the direction in which the information is transferred is ``encrypted'' with quantum randomness. Thus the predictions are the same in any relativistic frame of reference. Removing quantum randomness with a hidden variable theory forces one to choose a direction and produces a direct contradiction with special relativity. There is nothing new about this.

Paul Budnik