[FOM] PoV on Ultrafinitism - Mathematical Induction Trickiness

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Tue Feb 10 14:54:37 EST 2009

My first reaction to the quandary over mathematical induction in this note
is to suggest that (c) is better replaced by the simple observation that I
can write down the progression of numerals as long as I want without any
repetitions (taking into consideration the other properties of the numbers
under successor).

On looking deeper into the appeal to mathematical induction, I note that (b)
is not proven but is being asserted -- it is an empirical claim, rather
different than the usual practice of applying the second step in the
principle of mathematical induction.

However, even accepting (b), I believe the proper inference is

    (c') I can write down any numeral.

There's nothing in the usual statement of the principle of mathematical
induction (say, for Peano Arithmetic) that says anything about predicates on
the numbers as a totality, and in any case IcanWriteDownUniqueNumeralFor(x)
for x a number, is not such a predicate.

 - Dennis