[FOM] Mac lane set theory

Jeremy Bem jeremy1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:20:03 EST 2009

For me, the appeal of weaker set theories is the possibility of
incorporating them into a straightforward worldview such as the
following:

"Alice is a Platonist.  She believes in the objective reality of sets,
and that first-order statements in the language of set theory have
definite truth values.  She believes that the axioms of ZC (Zermelo
set theory with choice) are true, and so of course she believes that
ZC is consistent.  She also believes that by putting E := the empty
set,  S := E U Pow(E) U Pow(Pow(E)) U …,  M := S U Pow(S) U
Pow(Pow(S)) U …, she obtains a set which is a model of ZC.  This
confirms her belief that ZC is consistent; in fact, it is for her an
(informal) proof of the consistency of ZC.  She believes (and can
prove formally) the fundamental theorem of algebra, Goodstein's
theorem, and many other standard, beautiful results.  She doesn't know
the truth value of Borel determinacy, projective determinacy, or the
continuum hypothesis."

Is there an objection to this worldview, and is there a similarly
straightforward worldview based on ZFC?  In particular, it doesn't
seem that one could get the same reassurance that Alice gets from M,
from the definition of the Von Neumann universe.  I've never been at
peace with that definition, but in particular, V isn't a set, is it?
So it isn't a model in the usual sense of first-order logic.  This
seems like a real sacrifice, not ad hoc, and not worth making just for
Borel determinacy.

As far as Mac Lane set theory is concerned, perhaps Alice should stick
to that when doing actual formalization in algebra or similar.  I
believe ZC can prove the consistency of Mac which can itself prove
many beautiful results?  So Alice would then have *formal* reassurance
about her formal proofs.  And she could also use the very practical
HOL theorem proving systems which you yourself proved equivalent to
Mac :)

-Jeremy