[FOM] ZF versus subsystems of Z_2

friedman@math.ohio-state.edu friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:33:59 EDT 2008

In the context of subsystems of second order arithmetic, generally
speaking, formulations are made in terms of natural numbers and sets of
natural numbers - or what is essentially equivalent, using Goedel
numberings.

So Konig's Lemma and weak Konig's Lemma is formulated in terms of sets of
finite sequences of natural numbers, or, equivalently, sets of natural
numbers (finite sequence numbers). There cannot be any axiom of choice
involved in such formulations, as one can normally pick least examples.

Z_2 has has a canonical interpretation in ZF, where integers in Z_2 go to
omega in ZF and sets in Z_2 go to subsets of omega in ZF and epsilon is
preserved.

Harvey Friedman