[FOM] ZF versus subsystems of Z_2

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:43:40 EDT 2008

Does ZF prove everything that Z_2 does?  I would think not, because
various choice principles are provable in Z_2, whereas I believe that ZF
does not even prove Koenig's lemma.  On the other hand, I didn't think
Brouwer's fixed-point theorem required AC, so clearly I'm confused about
something.

This question occurred to me when reading Tim Gowers's blog (which I just
discovered), where he asks (roughly speaking) what we would lose if we
dropped even countable choice and insisted that allegedly countable sets
always come equipped with a bijection with N.

http://gowers.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/a-small-countability-question/

Tim