[FOM] MWPMW 9. Final Call for Papers

Michael Detlefsen mdetlef1 at nd.edu
Mon Sep 1 15:17:41 EDT 2008

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The ninth annual Midwest PhilMath Workshop (MWPMW 9) will be held at
Notre Dame the weekend of Saturday, November 8th and Sunday, November
9th, 2008. There will be a full day of talks and discussions Saturday
and a half day Sunday. As usual, there will be a workshop dinner
Saturday evening, Nov 8th, with all participants invited to attend as
guests of the university.

We are pleased to announce that Prof. Edward Nelson, Dept. of
Mathematics, Princeton University, has agreed to join us and to give
a lecture entitled "The truth about numbers" on the first day of the
workshop. Prof. Douglas Jesseph, Dept. of Philosophy, University of
South Florida will also be joining us and giving a lecture entitled
"The "Merely Mechanical" vs. the "Scab of Symbols":
Seventeenth Century Disputes over the Criteria of Mathematical Rigor".

If you would like to give a talk, please email me
(<mailto:mdetlef1 at nd.edu>mdetlef1 at nd.edu) a pdf of your talk or
abstract with copies to Paddy
(<mailto:blanchette.1 at nd.edu>blanchette.1 at nd.edu), Tim
(<mailto:bays.5 at nd.edu>bays.5 at nd.edu) and Curtis
(<mailto:cfranks at nd.edu>cfranks at nd.edu). We would like to have all
proposals for talks by early September so that we can set the program
by late September. Talks should be 35--40 minutes, with 15--20
minutes left for discussion.

We're fortunate to have Mrs. Harriet Baldwin
(<mailto:baldwin.1 at nd.edu>baldwin.1 at nd.edu) as the workshop manager
once again this year. Please contact her with any questions you have
concerning rooms, meals, etc.. She has booked a block of rooms for
the workshop. Since there are other conferences going on the same
weekend, demand for rooms may be high and it would thus be a good
idea to reserve a room with Harriet as soon as possible. Please also
indicate to her whether you will be joining us for lunch and/or
dinner on Saturday, and let her know if you have any special dietary
needs. She can also point you to pertinent travel information, maps,
etc.. Finally, she's the person you should contact to apply for the
limited funds we have available to help defray expenses for student
participants coming from out of town whose departments cannot cover
their costs. These funds will generally take the form of subventions
for lodging. To apply please email Mrs. Baldwin as soon as possible.
Please also have an appropriate faculty member from your department
email me (<mailto:mdetlef1 at nd.edu>mdetlef1 at nd.edu) to confirm that it
cannot meet your expenses.

The full program for the workshop will be published on the workshop
website once it is set. We look forward to seeing you at the workshop.

Cordially,

Mic Detlefsen