[FOM] Incompleteness and Physics

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 23:36:56 EDT 2008

It's really very simple. Suppose a physically measurable quantity is,
according to a physical theory (which one believes in for physical
rather than mathematical reasons), a real number X that is DEFINABLE in
ZFC but not recursive. Then some mathematical sentence of the form "the
nth bit of X is 1" or "the nth bit of x is 0" is independent of ZFC;
however physical experiments might nonetheless give us KNOWLEDGE of the
nth bit of X, and therefore of the truth of a ZFC-independent statement.

The fact that you can then assume an axiom about the value of that bit
is totally irrelevant -- the issue is not that there is no theory which
can define the value of a certain finite set of bits, it is that (if
you accept this hypothetical physical theory) there is a bit which
ALREADY has a definition in ZFC but which can't be proved in ZFC to
have a specific value.

-- JS