[FOM] philosophical literature on intuitionism

Benjamin somrh at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 22:15:34 EDT 2008

The philosophy of math anthology you mentioned has a few pieces on intuitionism including papers by Brouwer, Heyting and Dummett, IIRC.

One good place to start is to study Immanuel Kant, specifically Kant's view on mathematics. The intuitionists are an extension of that overall thesis. Kant's "Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics" is a good place to start and secondary literature is always good in any attempt to make any sense out of Kant.

The intuitionists do differ from Kant (they have to, with the advent of noneuclidean geometry, something had to be altered in Kant's thesis) but IIRC Brouwer made it pretty clear his thought was an extension to Kant's.

Benjamin