[FOM] Completeness formulations

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Oct 12 23:11:31 EDT 2008

The place Godel Incompleteness can matter in physics is if the
consequences of a mathematized physical theory are mathematically
*definable* without being mathematically *computable*.  For example, if
a TOE involved a physically measurable dimensionless quantity which was
a nonrecursive real number, then physics could allow the derivation of
new mathematical facts that were beyond the capacity of ZFC to prove.
(ZFC or any recursively axiomatized theory can only settle the value of
finitely many bits of precision for any definable nonrecursive real
number before reaching a bit whose value is an unprovable mathematical
fact which may nonetheless be measurable to a high degree of confidence
if you believe the "TOE".)

Conversely, Godel Incompleteness would mean that the results of the TOE
could not be predicted with mathematical certainty to arbitrary
precision.

This is not as farfetched as it might at first appear. For example,
Hartle and Hawking had a theory of quantum gravity in which physically
measurable quantities were defined in terms of a sum over equivalence
classes of 4-dimensional simplicial topologies, where the unsolvability
of the homeomorphism problem means that no method of calculation was
apparent. That doesn't prove that some clever way could not be found to
perform the summation without enumerating the distinct cases, but it's
conceivable that a suitable theory could involve such a summation
having an r.e. complete real number as its answer. (This is discussed
in my 1992 paper "Aspects of Computability in Physics".)

-- JS