[FOM] First edition of The Russell-Whitehead Principia

Cameron Freer freer at math.mit.edu
Wed Oct 8 14:54:00 EDT 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Charles Parsons wrote:

> Here is my report on holdings of the first edition of PM in the
> Harvard University Library.
>
> It appears that no part of the library has a full set of all three
> volumes.
>
> The online catalogue lists four holdings, two in Robbins Library (the
> philosophy department library) and two in Houghton Library, the rare
> book and manuscript library.
>
> The upshot of my investigation is that there is in fact nothing in
> Robbins and that the two copies in Houghton (of volume 1 only) were
> transferred there in 1979 from Robbins. Therefore the Robbins entries
> actually refer to the same books as the Houghton ones.
>
> One of the copies in Houghton has the bookplate "Department of
> Philosophy and Psychology" and a handwritten note that it was the
> gift of Josiah Royce on 26 February 1911. It has a few marginal
> notes; those I noticed were in the introduction, probably not all in
> the same hand and very likely by library users.
>
> The other has an inscription on a flyleaf "C. I. Lewis, with the
> regards and best wishes of J Royce, Jan 26, 1911." It has a modern
> bookplate "Department of Philosophy" and there was evidence that it
> was given to the department by Lewis in 1954, during the year after
> his retirement. There are marginal notes in the introduction in a
> very neat hand, which I would guess to be Lewis's.
>
> A copy of PM that had belonged to the Harvard logician H. M. Sheffer
> (1882-1964) is still in Emerson Hall. Although Sheffer surely studied
> at least some of the first edition, this copy is of the second.
>
> Charles Parsons

MIT has one copy of the first volume of the first edition in the
Institute Archives.

It was a gift of Arthur N. Mansfield, Class of 1891, and entered the
MIT library on June 3, 1912.

Subsequently, it was placed in the Runkle Library of Mathematics
(the bookplate was glued over the top of part of the Mansfield
bookplate).

There is a circulation slip ("FORM L25 10M   21 Sept. '26") with two
entries -- a stamped "Dec 31 1927" and a handwritten "1 July" below that.

All 13 errata have been penciled in, and there are a few other
pencil markings in the introduction -- mostly "Df." in the margin of
some definitions, or parentheses added to formulas.

----

One may view a scan of University of Michigan's copies of the first
edition of all three volumes online:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=umhistmath;idno=AAT3201.0001.001
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=umhistmath;idno=AAT3201.0002.001
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=umhistmath;idno=AAT3201.0003.001

They are stamped June 21 1940, April 27, 1912, and April 28, 1913, respectively.

Cameron Freer