[FOM] mathematics as formal

rgheck rgheck at brown.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:27:13 EDT 2008

Steven Ericsson-Zenith wrote:
> It seems to me that "Logic" is first in the business of establishing
> and studying conventions and when the nature of that study is extended
> to include matters of apprehension it is rightly called
> "Semeiotics" (with Peirce and Locke as precedence).

I thought logic was the study of such things as validity. It's no
convention that, if it's true that p and also true that q, then it's
true that p and q. It may be due to convention that the word "if" means
if, etc. (Then again, it may not be.) But that's an entirely different
matter, and it is of no concern to logic.

With Frege and Quine as precedents.

Richard Heck