[FOM] prime values of polynomials

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 19 03:32:44 EDT 2008

Many will be familiar with Pythagorean triples as an example of tuples
so representable, namely as (m^2+n^2, m^2-n^2, 2mn).  One direction is
an immediate consequence of Al-Karkhi's quarter-squares rule (p+q)^2 -
(p-q)^2 = 4pq from around 1010 AD (but conjectured by David Smith to be
"due to the Hindus") with p = m^2, q = n^2.  I found the rule handy
recently in giving a cute proof of the equivalence of the Pythagorean
formula for a right triangle and Heron's formula for the area of a
triangle by factoring it as pq where p = s(s-a) and q =(s-b)(s-c) and
applying Al-Karkhi (try it).

Vaughan