[FOM] Prime values of polynomials

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 07:44:42 EST 2008

It's not really tougher; if f(x) has only finitely many non-prime
values, let the largest x for which f(x) is composite be k; then f(x^2
+ k + 1) has only prime values.

Similarly, any polynomial with only finitely many prime values can be
used to make a polynomial with no prime values. But it's very striking
to me that we can't prove any polynomial of degree >1 has infinitely
many prime values, even for polynomials of the form x^2 + k for k>0.

-- JS