[FOM] mathematics as formal

Michael J Barany mjb245 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:24:58 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

This seemed like a good opportunity to make a first post to this list.

It looks like you're distinguishing between "formal mathematics" (mechanically
verifiable) and "mathematical formalism" (abstract manipulation of signs and
symbols), though they are certainly quite connected in history and in
practice.  For formalism in modern Western mathematics, the iconic figure is
Euler, who was quite nearly the only person in millenia before him and a
century afterward to produce great mathematical results without bothering to
explain them in terms of Euclidean geometric constructions.

My work is on Cauchy's Course in Analysis, which I argue formed a sort of
conceptual bridge between Euler and the founders of "formal mathematics" a
century later in Germany (Weierstrass, Dedekind, Kronecker, Cantor, Heine,
Hilbert,... and of course Peano and others elsewhere).  Cauchy's innovation
was making formal mathematics, *when subject to additional rules and
methodological constraints*, viewable as rigorous.  In his case, these
additional rules were made to make algebraic manipulations work more like
geometric manipulations, which is why Cauchy was so insistent on convergence
questions.

The second half of the nineteenth century was dominated by attempts to try out
different axiom systems and to experiment with different formal structures.
Mechanical formalism reached a height of absurdity in Russell and Whitehead's
Principia Mathematica from 1910, which is 3 volumes of formal derivations,
half of which is a lead-up to 1+1=2.  Then, there was the interwar period,
which was full of debates between positivists and anti-positivists, and
included Godel's theorem.  Positivism and logical formalism share many similar
philosophical premises and ambitions.  Formalism in mathematics underwent its
next big transition with the rise of electronic computers.  See Donald
MacKenzie's Mechanizing Proof for an excellent discussion of those
developments.

There's another piece which might be more closely related to your question.
Early modern mathematics (mostly 17th century) was marked by a huge
deification of Euclid.  Hobbes was famous for arguing that Euclid should be
the model not only of math but also of philosophy: start with areas of
agreement and proceed by rational and logical arguments, thereby compelling
assent.  It has been argued that the popular view of Euclid as one of the
first *formalizers* originated around or just before this period.  Indeed,
Euclid's axioms have been mechanized and formalized in many different ways by
many different people over the last century and a half (see as bookends
Hilbert and computer programs like Geometer's Sketchbook).

Smiles,

Michael