[FOM] Partial Entailment

Kenny Easwaran easwaran at berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 10 18:03:04 EDT 2008

This was a major goal of Hempel and Carnap in the early and middle
parts of the 20th century.  Following Carnap, many people have tried
to make this some sort of probabilistic notion, though there have been
serious attacks on the cogency (or at least, usefulness) of any
possible such formalization.  I would check the Stanford Encyclopedia
entry on Inductive Logic:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-inductive/

Kenny