[FOM] Is CH vague?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 23:55:15 EST 2008

You are missing my point. "Definite" and "vague" are not opposites.
"Definite" and "indefinite" are opposites, as are "vague" and "clear".
The Sherlock Holmes example is supposed to illustrate " indefinite but
not vague" because there is no dispute about what "whether Sherlock
Holmes had blue eyes" MEANS, even though there may even in principle be
no "fact of the matter". I agree that CH may be indefinite, but it is
not "vague", as Martin illustrates by reducing CH to simpler and
clearer concepts.  A statement cannot be vague if it is built up
logically from terms and concepts that are themselves clear and being
used appropriately.

-- JS