[FOM] CH and mathematics

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 01:22:05 EST 2008

Pitwosky's work by design had no testable predictions differing from
standard quantum mechanics -- its value was philosophical, in showing
that one could replace physical weirdness (spooky actions at a distance
or failures of experimenters' free will or faster-than-light
communication) with mathematical weirdness related to (but stronger
than) Banach-Tarski type phenomena.

To the extent one takes the metaphysics and philosophy seriously, one
can also use his work to argue for certain ZFC-independent mathematical
propositions as necessary to make the physics work, vindicating a
remark of Godel's that new axioms for set theory might come to be
accepted on the basis of their fruitfulness in physics. (Technically,
this depends on my result that "spin-1/2 functions" of the type
envisioned by Pitowsky can not be shown to exist within ZFC; but I do
not personally argue that spin-1/2 functions exist because I do not
agree with the metaphysical assumptions of Pitowsky's model.)

-- JS