[FOM] CH and mathematics

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Jan 21 16:08:37 EST 2008

Some set theorists (for example, Patrick Dehornoy here:
http://www.math.unicaen.fr/~dehornoy/Surveys/DgtUS.pdf.
) believe that recent work of Woodin makes CH a much more definite
question.

Woodin has argued, roughly speaking, that the properties of the sets of
hereditary cardinality aleph_1 are invariant under forcing only if CH
is false; therefore only a set theory where CH is false can settle many
open questions about sets that are quite small and "early" in the
set-theoretic hierarchy. If we believe those questions themselves have
definite answers, then we should accept that CH is false.

I don't necessarily buy this line of reasoning myself, but a lot of
people regard it as genuine progress, so you should address it if you
want to argue for CH's indefiniteness or our inability to settle it.

-- JS