[FOM] Formalization Thesis

Charles Silver silver_1 at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 4 15:58:37 EST 2008

	I am not offering any opinion about Timothy Chow's FT,  I just want
to call attention to Quine's "indeterminacy of translation" thesis,
which seems to bear on (a version of) FT, and to Noam Chomsky's
review criticizing that thesis.   Quine's views are well-known and
easily locatable.  Chomsky's article is entitled "Quine's Empirical
Assumptions," which can be found in "Words and Objections," edited by
Davidson and Hintikka.   Naturally Quine's views held sway among
philosophers, but this doesn't mean Quine was right.
	Sorry to be so cryptic.  My purpose is just to introduce the above
for possible consideration.