[FOM] The Hebrew-English Thesis

jaN. bov234 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 08:46:58 EST 2008

it's an interesting question whether the 'faithful expression' of a piece of
ordinary mathematics into some formal language can be considered as a
translation. if one asks the philosophy of language for advice, the answer
depends on whom do you ask. roughly speaking, the so-called analytic
philosophy tends to conceptualize translation as translation between
artificial languages and concludes (with w. v. o. quine) that translation is
impossible due to the 'indeterminacy of translation'-principle (provided the
artificial languages refer to the 'real' world). in this view there can be
no certitude about the correctness of a translation from ordinary
mathematics to a formal language. on the other hand the so-called
continental philosophy looks at translation as transfer between natural
languages. in this case there is a long tradition of successful translations
based on the familiarity of the according underlying life-forms ( e.g. in
the works of wittgenstein and benjamin).
it obviously plays a crucial role which concept of language one relys to
when it comes to reasoning about the possibility of translating ordinary
mathematics into a formal language (or hebrew into english).
an important argument here is, that one is not entirely free to choose
whatever concept of language one just likes the most. the reason is quit
simple: all artificial languages are based on natural languages in the sense
that whenever one employs the idea of an artificial language one has to
negotiate about it in some natural language. maybe nowadays it is possible
to define one artificial language in another one, but historically natural
languages were the first on the scene.
here is not the place to examine this in detail. i just want to point out
that if one conceptualizes mathematics as a kind of language and plays with
the question whether a certain piece of mathematics is translatable, one
also buys the whole package that belongs to the field of translational
studies.
translation is not formalizable, but never the less there are successful
translations. what makes us able to translate, if we can not explicitly
write down the rules by which we tell whether a translation is successful or
not? in the translational studies this question points in the direction of
anthropology, sociology and history. in which direction does it point in
mathematics?

best regards
jan

concerning mathematics the question could be posed as follows: