[FOM] The Minimal Model of ZF

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Jan 2 01:54:27 EST 2008

To sharpen the "paradox" I refer to at the end of my previous post:

If ZF has a standard model, then M, the minimal model, exists as a set,
and Th(M) is a well-defined set of sentences that includes the axioms
of ZFC, "V=M", and lots of other things. If M does not exist as a set,
then Th(M) is no more definable than Th(V); but what goes wrong with
the previous definition, exactly?

Another way to put it: assuming M exists as a set, it is a unique and
well-defined set, but is there any sentence that we can prove M
satisfies that is not already a logical consequence of "ZFC+V=M"?
Assuming Con(ZF), of course Con(ZF) is such a sentence, because M
satisfies the true sentences of arithmetic which are absolute and if M
exists as a set then ZF is consistent; but I'd like to see how much
further this can be taken.  ("Taking it further" corresponds to
extending the axiom system "ZFC + V=M" with the scheme "Anything which
'ZFC + M exists as a set' proves is true in M is true in V".)

-- JS