[FOM] Gödel–McKinsey–Tarski translation

Sergei Artemov sartemov at gc.cuny.edu
Sat Feb 23 15:09:04 EST 2008

Dear David,

This issue has been thoroughly discussed in
    S. Artemov. `Explicit provability and constructive semantics,'
Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, vol. 7, No.1, pp. 1-36, 2001
(see also S. Artemov. "Modal logic in mathematics,"  Handbook of Modal
Logic, Elsevier,  2006)

In particular, this paper provides an exact mathematical meaning of "A
is constructively provable" by recovering Brouwer-Heyting-Kolmorogov
(BHK) proofs from S4 derivations. This connects the Goedel project of
providing (classical) provability semantics for intuitionistic logic to
the intended BHK semantics of proofs for intuitionistic logic.

The main idea of Goedel-McKinsey-Tarski translation is to emulate in
classical logic the principal intuitionistic paradigm
"intuitionistically true=provable". Goedel's idea of 1933 was to read
"provable" in this equation as "provable in the usual classical sense",
hence reading the aforementioned paradigm as
    "intuitionistically true = classically provable".
Some authors have explored other approaches, e.g. "intuitionistically
true = intuitionistically provable" with somewhat limited success though
(cf. a wonderful survey D. van Dalen, Intuitionistic logic, Handbook of
philosophical logic (D. Gabbay and F. Guenther, editors), vol. 3,
Reidel, 1986, pp. 225–340. ).

 Kolmogorov's views of 1932 were close to ones by Goedel: to explain
intuitionisitic logic via classical notions of problem/problem
solutions/proof.

Given the modal logic S4 as the logic for classical provability, a
natural reflex is to cast the "intuitionistically true = classically
provable" paradigm as a translation of a given formula F in the
intuitionistic language into the language of S4 by prefixing all
subformulas in F by the provability modality []. We call the result of
such a translation F^[].  Indeed, imagine a down-top procedure of
determining the "intuitionistic truth value" if a formula given
"intuitionistic truth values" of its subformulas. Such a procedure will
have a classical counterpart, which repeats the same steps on F^[] and
reads "intuitionistic truth" as "classical provability" since each
subformula in F^[] is prefixed by the provability modality [].

Getting Goedel translation and McKinsey-Tarski translation from F^[] is
now a technicality: all three are essentially equivalent in S4.

Due to some logical identities in S4 some of modalities in F^[] are
redundant. For example, []([]A & []B) <-> ([]A & []B) in S4, hence one
can save a prefix [] corresponding to the &-clause in the definition of
F^[]. In addition, S4 proves A iff S4 proves []A, hence one can safely
drop the outermost [] in F^[]. Finally, []\bot<->\bot in S4. These
observations give us Goedel's translation F^g from F^[].

In McKinsey-Tarski translation F^mc, one has to box only atoms and
implications in F. To connect F^mc with F^[] it now suffices to use an
additional S4-identity
[]([]A v []B) <-> ([]A v []B), which is an easy exercise.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Sergei Artemov
http://web.cs.gc.cuny.edu/~sartemov/