[FOM] Bivalence and Law of Excluded Middle

Larry Stout lstout at iwu.edu
Mon Feb 18 16:56:02 EST 2008

Certainly one can do mathematics in a Boolean-valued model in which
one does have the law of the excluded middle but does not have
bivalence in the sense of having only two truth values.

If the statement of bivalence is [[p \vee \lnot p]] = true  then it
would seem to say exactly the law of excluded middle.

If the statement of bivalence is [[p]]=true or [[\lnot p]]=true then
it certainly does not.

Is the 'or' in the definition of definiteness from Sayward
	"Call a statement truth definite if it or its negation is true."
in the metalanguage or in the object language?

Larry Stout