[FOM] constructive continuity 2

Erik Palmgren palmgren at math.uu.se
Wed Feb 13 18:19:30 EST 2008

Dear Frank Waaldijk,

thank you for your posting on this topic.

The apparent antinomy is explained by the fact that the morphisms F:{[0,1]} ->
{R+} corresponds to the Bishop-continuous functions f:[0,1]
->    R which have positive uniform lower bound, i.e. there is c>0 with f(x)>
c for all x in [0,1], rather than those f being merely positive.

To prove this one notices that the intervall {[0,1}} is covered by
F^{-1}({(a,b) : a>0}) for a morphism F:{[0,1]} -> {R+}. As the interval is
covering compact there is a finite subcovering from which c can be extracted.
Indeed, this looks like the classical proof using the Heine-Borel theorem, but
it refers to formal cover relations, that are inductive generated, and uses the
fact that F^-1 preserves such cover relations.

Though the points of the formal topology {R+} are the positive real
numbers, it is not the same to say that F: {[0,1]} - > {R} has a
positive point function f=Pt(F) and that it factorises through the
inclusion {R+} -> {R}.

More details are found in the paper

E. Palmgren. Resolution of the uniform lower bound problem in constructive
analysis. Mathematical Logic Quarterly 54(2008), 66-69.

I hope this goes some way towards explaining some of the questions raised.

Yours sincerely,

   Erik Palmgren